I didn't know what I was going to post today, but as luck (bad of course) would have it the mighty ghostcrawler saves the day. So a little analysis of what BRK is calling the great hunter nerf of 2008. I will say that I do think hunter dps is a little high and could use some tuning, I also have to say that they still suffer in PVP and I doubt nerfing damage output is going to help much on that end. Also as my friend the frog would say BUFF ROGUES!! (in PVE only they still stunlock me into the ground, grr)
1) Steady Shot – now only gains 10% of attack power as damage (down from 20%).
A significant nerf but probably understandable we'll see if its too much
2) Volley – reduced the damage by about 30% for all ranks. Note that AE damage from many classes is very high right now and we are looking at all of them. Volley in particular had reached the point where some hunters were using it to the exclusion of most other attacks.
A hugely disappointing nerf because for my undergeared hunter it was really the only way I could keep up with overgeared groups damage wise. The encounters are all easy enough to aoe down so we are using the best ability we have to compete (or dominate as the case may be) I will say it was overpowered but 30% is alot.
3) Readiness – no longer affects the cooldown of Bestial Wrath.
Making it useless for BM hunters, You're going to see alot more exotic pets because of this nerf
4) Deterrence – has been completely overhauled. It now allows you to deflect 100% of incoming melee or spell damage for 5 seconds, but prevents you from attacking while active. You still must be facing the attacker to deflect the damage (this is a limitation we are trying and might end up removing). 60 sec cooldown.
A direction oriented buff, but really limited against our biggest threats rogues
5) Kill Shot – cooldown reduced to 15 sec (from 35 sec).
A helpful buff in PVE and PVP only good things here
6) Kindred Spirits – now only grants 3/6/9/12/15% pet damage.
Finally a nerf that seems in line with the issues but with the other nerfs could hurt
7) Serpent’s Swiftness – now only grants 2/4/6/8/10% bonus attack speed to pet.
Again a nerf thats not too bad by itself but when with everything else???
8) All hunter pet abilities with a cooldown longer than 30 sec have been moved off the global cooldown.
This is a buff that should have been in already but oh well take what you can get
9) Growl— threat generation increased by 20% (same for Voidwalker Torment).
This is basically to make up for all the damage they took away so they can still hold some aggro, it looks like a buff (for warlocks it is, sort of Voidwalker only??) but it really is just a coverup
10) Call of the Wild – now benefits only the hunter and his or her pet.
Wow that just sucks, one pet class removed from raiding
11) Rake and Scorpid Poison – slightly nerfed to bring them into line with other pet abilities.
Hard to say how bad of nerf this is without testing
12) Spirit Strike – reduced the period on the dot so it will work better with Longevity.
Just a bug fix for those lucky enough to snag a Spirit Beast
13) Improved Tracking – now benefits damage to all included creature types as long as you are tracking one of them. You don’t have to swap around what you are tracking as much.
This is a buff anyway you look at it. This keeps you from babysitting your mark as much
14) Aspect of the Wild – now raid-wide.
This is just putting it inline with all other similar abilities, a bug-fix
Well, I might just have to level my hunter up before all these get put in, I am a little disgruntled that they are going to test these beforehand unlike the insta-nerf that paladins received but oh well. Definitely going to be logging onto the PTR when it is open.